Tri-tronics Sport Basic G3 Product Review

Helping You Get the Most From Your Hunting Dogs

Tri-tronics Sport Basic G3 Product Review

by Geoffrey English


0:44 Today we're going to review our #1 best selling electronic collar. The Tri-tronics Sport Basic G3. Now based on the price point and the features that it offers, this collar's really hard to beat. Today we're going to go over some of the features that make this collar so popular among our customers.

1:02 Now there are three types of stimulation offered by the Sport Basic G3. There's a non electrical form of stimulation otherwise known as tone or buzz. Now many people use the tone feature either as a warning or a praise tone. I like to use it as a praise tone because I like a lot of positive reinforcement when training dogs.

1:22 Now the two electrical forms of stimulation are continuous and momentary stimulation. The difference is simply in the duration. But the impact to the dog is significant. I'll explain that in a minute. Continuous for however long you hold the button down, the dog gets that length of correction. So if you hold the button down for four seconds, the dog's going to get four seconds of correction. With momentary, for however long you hold the button down, the dog's only going to get a fraction of a second of correction. The difference to the dog is significant and as you train dogs more and more with electronic collars, you'll notice it. With the momentary, it's just like tapping the dog. It's a gentle reminder. It doesn't rock the boat.

2:00 And that's where I like to spend about 80% of my training and the remaining 20% in continuous. Now the Sport Basic offers 10 levels of correction, all of which can be controlled by the transmitter. On the face of the unit, you'll find an intensity level selection dial which can be operated with your thumb. This is one of my favorite features on the unit because you can change the level of intensity from a low to a higher setting without ever taking your eyes off the dog.

2:26 Another consideration when buying an electronic collar is durability. Tri-tronics has made the outer shell on this Sport Basic out of Lexian, which is the same material used in bullet-proof windows. The unit is also 100% waterproof which means if you're going to be training in foul weather, it's going to be able to stand up to the elements. The final thing I like about the design is of this transmitter is it has an integrated 1 and a half inch antenna, which means you're not going to have an antenna that shears off like the old collars used to. That's a great design feature on this particular collar.

3:00 Now if you're looking for a system that can be expanded to multiple dogs, the Sport Basic is just the system for you. It offers the ability to be able to go from one to three dogs, simply by changing the collar selection dial on the front of the unit. You can switch between dog 1, dog 2 or dog 3 with just a simple switch of the button.

3:20 Now the collars on the Tri-tronics Sport Basic G3 series are 100% waterproof. They're also the same collars on the upper end Pro series models from Tri-tronics which means you're getting a professional level collar on an entry level system. The strap that comes with the unit will accommodate a dog with a neck size of 10 inches all the way to 24 inches. If you have a dog that has a neck bigger than 24 inches, don't worry. You can the strap with any 1 inch biothane strap and accommodate a dog with a larger neck.

3:49 As far as batteries are concerned, the transmitter operates on a single 9 volt battery which can be found at any hardware store. The collar operates on a nickel metal hydrated battery which can be charged to its full capacity within two hours. That's a great improvement over years past.

4:06 Keep in mind the Tri-tronics Sport Basic G3 also comes with a 30 day money back guarantee. It also has a two year warranty for parts and labor. If you have any further questions or we can help you out in any other way, feel free to give us a call. We'd be happy to do so. 

We want your input: